Thursday, July 2, 2009

Make LinkedIn Work For You!



I have personally seen that lately I have been using the Internet more for networking than for socializing. I remember times when for me sitting on the Internet meant checking mails, chatting on yahoo and of course downloading music.. strangely all of that has stopped now! I now have 4-5 email id's that checking all of them is something that I rarely do... Since my email accounts are configured on outlook therefore chatting on Gmail is something I no longer do ( yahoo messenger is seriously passe now!) and for downloading music, I have my husband! :) So yes, it is all about networking now! For that i have accounts on Facebook, twitter and LinkedIn.

I wished to keep my facebook account private as I believe that at times you wish to have your private sphere which has you and some of your real close friends to talk too and not something which the world has to watch and enjoy.. my thoughts.. need not be your's too!! :)

Of all these networking sites by far it is LinkedIn which comes across to be the most professional looking. From my experience so far and what I have learnt from people already there I thought of listing out some strict DONT's that you should keep in mind when you open your account on LinkedIn.

  1. Understand the whole concept behind LinkedIn that this platform is your professional identity. Keeping this in mind be very sure what kind of information you put up there of yourself. Keep in mind that your current employers or even your prospective clients are going to read it. Keeping this in mind communicate forward a clean, professional image.
  2. Be very honest when you write your summary. Refrain from bragging about yourself and at any cost do not lie facts.
  3. I would advise you to refrain using LinkedIn the way you use twitter. Use the status message window in LinkedIn to showcase your professional updates rather than cracking a joke!
  4. Do not sent invites to people with the sole aim of increasing the number of connections. To optimally use LinkedIn connect with like minded people who are from your field or interest. The same applies to joining various groups on LinkedIn.
  5. PLEASE refrain from haggling others to provide you with a recommendation! It is a natural process.. If you do good work the other person will automatically feel compelled to write it up for you.
  6. If you wish to use the Q and A section of LinkedIn be very sure what you wish to ask. Dont use it to simply post a question which would later on look silly and undesired.
  7. I would advise you not to add many family contacts here on LinkedIn. There is facebook, orkut, twitter and several other networking platforms for you to connect with them. Limit LinkedIn for your professional contacts.

Retweet

No comments:

Post a Comment