Saturday, June 6, 2009

Who's vision is it anyway?

When I started writing a couple of years back it did not take me long to realize that when you take up an assignment to write for a client, you are his channel, his medium to aid him put his vision into words. I understood that the work assigned to me involved me to think from my client's point of view and rather not plonk on my vision! My work is to use MY talent to put the CLIENT'S thoughts in the best presentable form that I can manage to.


Over a period of time I have discovered that this task involves me to take care of several parameters so that I can hit the nail right on the head.
  1. When ever I get a project I request the client to send me a creative brief which is nothing more but a brief snapshot of his ideas regarding that particular project.
  2. Once I have the brief with me I follow it up with thorough research on the product including its features, its properties and the special points that need any emphasis on.
  3. This is then followed by identifying the market segment to which the product is focused towards. This market segment could pertain to either a class of individuals or even towards a geographical segment.
  4. It could also be a good idea to check out the websites of the competitors that your client's product may be having.
  5. When done with my research the next step would be to arrange the info in acordance to he creative brief that I had discussed with the client.
  6. Lastly, the next step that I would suggest and something which I do is to have an in depth discussion with the client and discuss with him your research and your vision and then try and get into sync with what the client has to say on the same.
Once you are done with all this the paper(or rather let us say the word document ;) ) is your battlefield and the words your weapons!! :)

Believe me, when you sit down to write with a clear vision in your head the task of writing will be a complete pleasure!!
Retweet

No comments:

Post a Comment